Collection page: Add custom tag groups for filtering
From version 4.4.0 onwards the Venue theme has the ability to create custom tag groups. These tag groups are a powerful way to help your customers filter and find suitable products to buy.
So for example if you were selling smartphone covers you might want to set up some custom tag groups for Phone Manufacturer, Color, Material etc You can then display these tags in the sidebar filter or filter drawer of your collection pages.
The beauty of tags as opposed to collections/menus is that the customer can combine several tags at the same time. So they might use the tags to filter down to 'Samsung + Black + Leather'.
Creating tag groups
It's very quick and easy to set up some groups. You simply add tags to products as normal but you utilise a particular format.
If you had a camera store some of the tags would be Brand_Canon, Focal Length_50mm, and Resolution_12 MP. The left side of the underscore is the group name, and the right side is the tag for the product. Spaces can be included on either side of the underscore.
You can use upper or lower case for the actual tag name and it will be outputted on your store in that font case. For example 'Fit_Loose' tag will output 'Loose' and Fit_loose' will output 'loose'. The left side of the underscore i.e the group name is also sensitive.
Displaying the tag group in your store
Typically you would display these groups in some kind of filter sidebar or filter drawer.
- Click the ‘Customize’ button in the Themes area of your Shopify admin. This will take you to the theme editor.
- Once the editor is open navigate to any collection page. You can use the dropdown at the top of the screen as a shortcut.
- Once you are viewing a collection page click on the 'Collection page' section on the left of the editor.
- Once this section is open look for the ''Filters' section and make sure the 'Enable filters' checkbox is checked and active.
- You can then decide if to wish to display your filters as a sidebar or a slide out drawer on desktop. Mobile width always uses a drawer design.
- Next you need to add some content (menus and tags) to your sidebar/drawer filter by clicking on the 'Add content' link in the content section below the main filter settings.
- If you are using these Tag Groups we'd recommend you don't use the 'All tags' option as the tags with underscores will look a little messy and confusing for the customer.
- Select 'Tag groups' - this will add all of the tag groups you have set up to your filter.
Note: Groups are ordered alphabetically, and so are the tags listed inside the groups. A Shopify expert can help you customize the order.