Product page: Add custom options using line items
OS 2.0 themes
Line item properties are used to collect customization information for an item added to the cart. This information can be collected from the buyer on the product page. Common use cases for this would be for engravings or gift-wrapping options.
Line item locations
- Product page form.
- Cart page
Types of line items
- Text field - Allows customers to input text with the option to make it a required field.
- Checkbox - Customer checks a custom-labeled box with the option to make it a required field.
- Dropdown - Present a dropdown menu with multiple options.
Add line items to your product form
Click the Customize button in the Themes area of your Shopify admin. This will take you to the theme editor.
Once the editor is open navigate to the product page template.
- From here, click on the Add block option under Product page and select Line item.
- Add a line item type by filling in the corresponding Label field:
- If you need more or would like multiple of the same line item type, you can do so by adding another block as shown in step 3 and repeat.
- Click Save and check your work.
Line items offer you an opportunity to get to know your customer better, by asking the right questions you can get insight into who your customers are and what they like. Information like this is gold for building out your marketing strategies and creating a more personalized relationship between you and your customer.
This type of personalization is one of Shopify's top trends for 2023 and beyond, check out their blog post on this below:
Shopify Blog - Personalization trends